Re: [whatwg] resource hints and separating download from processing

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014, Ilya Grigorik wrote:

> - <link href='https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans'
> rel='stylesheet'>
> - above stylesheet is "dynamic" and returns a pointer to a UA optimized
> font file that lives on https://fonts.gstatic.com

Ah, yeah, that's an excellent example. Thanks.

> That said, I think we're on the same page... I'm just arguing that "X
> will subsume resource hints" is not entirely true: we still need to
> define how preconnect/preload/prerender need to behave, which APIs they
> will expose, what guarantees they will provide, and so on. None of that
> is currently spec'ed, which is the gap I'm trying to fill.

I totally agree that more detailed specs for rel=prerender,
rel=preconnect, and rel=prefetch/preload/subresource would be useful. I
may end up speccing the latter, but what I'm doing doesn't so far have any
direct impact on the former two.