Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Wake Lock API

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 14:00:53 -0700
To: Nils Dagsson Moskopp <nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<nils@dieweltistgarnichtso.net> wrote:
> So what would happen if I want my laptop to go to into low-power mode by
> closing the lid? Would I have to close a lot of risky web pages first?

We need indeed something to prevent abuse here. Especially for CPU
locks given that they are largely invisible (and unactionable) to the
user. This is of course independent of what API syntax we use.

One solution that I think we'd use in FirefoxOS is to bring up a
dialog when the "system" lock is used. Unless the user has "installed"
the page by using "bookmark to homepage" or something similar. And for
things that have been bookmarked to homepage we'd track their battry
usage and inform the user how much battery each bookmarked website
uses.

/ Jonas