Re: [whatwg] resource hints and separating download from processing

On Mon, 11 Aug 2014, Ilya Grigorik wrote:

> Will this result in API that extends beyond import and ES6 module use
> cases? For example, I want to have the building blocks that will allow
> me to declare these dependencies on my own: "these two images before
> that script, but after this stylesheet, oh and that stylesheet should
> have higher priority than"... We can express all of this in HTTP/2, and
> I'd like that to be surfaced to the developers as a first class API.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I'm looking at.

> >  - defining preloading mechanisms for most HTML loading contexts
> >  - defining a dependency system for HTML loading contexts, especially
> >    style sheets, images, HTML imports, modules, and scripts
>
> I'm looking at the gliffy

The gliffy is just a description of the ES6 module system.

> but having a hard time understanding how this will work...

You and me both.

> It's murky to me how I'd declare a resource, specify its priority
> relative to others, and/or add a dependency. Any other (more complete)
> examples, by any chance? :)

All of that is out of scope of ES6 (and thus the gliffy), but is what I'm
trying to design.

I hope to be able to post more concrete proposals soon, it's currently
blocked on my understanding how I should be integrating HTML with ES6.

> > Assuming this works out as intended, it would completely subsume the
> > resource hints proposal.
>
> Hmm, not entirely.. I think. At a minimum, we still have preconnect and
> speculative preload + prerender cases to consider.

Do you mean the case of fetching a file before you've loaded the base HTML
file, as in loading a landing page before the user has selected a search
result on a search engine, for example?