Re: [whatwg] Notifications improvements

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 16:09:13 +0200
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>

Tracked here: https://github.com/whatwg/notifications/issues/17

> * Lists of title/body pairs

What exactly is this for?

> * Date (for things like "event will happen in 10 minutes")

Should this be part of a generic alarm API?

There's also a request for transient/toast notifications:
https://github.com/whatwg/notifications/issues/11

> Second, we really need to figure out the story around handling user
> clicking notifications after the user has closed the original page.

There's a proposal for that in a separate thread:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2014Jul/0204.html

> We need to change the GC behavior. Right now it seems like if a
> Notification object is created, but no event listeners are attached,
> because the page is expecting to use the SW event to listen for
> clicks, the notification won't be kept alive and so the SW can't get
> to any of its data.

Notification objects can go away, but the notification concept cannot be GC'd.

> We also need to keep state on the Notification object if the user has
> clicked the notification or not.

Why is that?

> We should also consider enabling passing a URL to the Notification
> constructor which is opened when the user clicks the notification.
> Probably this should attempt to reuse an existing tab with said URL if
> one is open.

That might be an interesting way to let service workers spawn a new window.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/