Re: [whatwg] Why are we merging Document and HTMLDocument again?

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2013, at 11:43 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > So you also support having a Document descendant that is used for
> > Documents that have global scopes / browsing contexts / the works, and
> > one that is used for Documents that don't (e.g. createDocument(),
> > XHR), where the former has the named getter and the latter doesn't?
>
> I think that's what I'm suggesting except that I'm suggesting to keep
> calling the former HTMLDocument.
>
> As far as I checked, SVGDocument and alike don't have named getter
> either so I'd rather not introduce it any non-HTML document.

What's an "HTML document" in this world? Something served using text/html?
Something with a browsing context? Some combination thereof?

SVGDocument is supposed to be merged into Document as well. The idea is to
not have any descendants of Document. The reason is that you can have
compound documents that need both the SVG and HTML (and MathML and FooML)
methods. There's no such thing as "non-HTML documents" now. Documents can
have SVG and HTML and mix it at will.

I can see having a special descendant that does the name stuff, if we can
determine exactly when it would apply. Note that what the DOM and HTML
specs call "HTML Document" vs "XML Document" is not the same criteria as
was being discussed here earlier (whether it has a browsing context).

But I think it's unfortunate to be considering yet another mode switch.