Re: [whatwg] High-density canvases

On 11 Sep 2013, at 5:32 am, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Sep 2013, Dean Jackson wrote:
>> On 11 Sep 2013, at 12:14 am, Stephen White <senorblanco@chromium.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> now that some browsers are including browser zoom (page zoom) in
>>> window.devicePixelRatio
>>
>> Ouch. Who is doing this and why?
>
> Why ouch?

Because we’ve always operated under the assumption that devicePixelRatio is the mapping from CSS px to device pixels at 1:1 scale/zoom, and that it is constant for a particular display. The only change content would see is if the window is dragged to/from a high resolution screen.

There are other ways to query the page zoom.

I fear this will break existing content. I don’t think we’d ever want to change the behaviour.

Dean