Re: [whatwg] Zip archives as first-class citizens

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 09:26:10 +0100
To: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> I have two concerns with the scheme-based approach.
>>
>> * It dramatically complicates origin handling. This is something we've
>> seen multiple times in gecko and something that I expect authors will
>> struggle with too.
>>
>> * It makes it impossible to have create a relative URL from inside the
>> zip file to refer to something on the same server but outside of the
>> zip file. Since anything outside of the zip file uses a different
>> scheme, it means that you have to use an absolute URL. Not even URLs
>> starting with "/" nor "//" can be used.
>
> Apologies for being late to the thread. Just wanted to agree with both of
> these points. This only seems valuable to me if we can do it in the context
> of http(s)://.

I don't see how that relates to the points. The sub-scheme approach
still works with HTTP. Origin handling would be more complicated.

Anyway, unless someone volunteers I'll write up a comparison of the
various approaches in due course. Meanwhile, I'd still be very much
interested in hearing implementer interest as without multi-vendor
buy-in this whole exercise is futile. Mozillians appears in favor.
Googlers appear somewhat reluctant, and everyone else is silent.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/