Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Adding methods like getElementById and getElementsByTagName to DocumentFragments

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 23:47:31 -0400
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>, whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Tim Streater <tim@clothears.org.uk>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
> So do you think we should add getElementById() to ParentNode in DOM?

I actually do, yes.

> It seems the advantages are that we can optimize it better than
> querySelector() because there is no selector parsing.

This, in my mind, is a somewhat minor advantage.

> And because there is no selector parsing, you can simply pass the value of an
> element's id attribute rather than escaping said value using CSS
> escape rules.

Right.  More importantly, you don't have to even understand that there
are CSS escaping rules involved, which is a bigger hurdle than doing the
escaping once you've understood that part....

> What it seems we lack is a clear need for either

Where by "either" you mean lack of a need for passing without escaping
first?  See above.

> but if the cost of
> implementing it is low, maybe it's worth it?

The way I see it, UAs already have to implement
SVGSVGElement.prototype.getElementById.  I suspect that in practice the
same implementation can be used for any Element or DocumentFragment, so
the cost of implementing is in fact quite low.

-Boris