[whatwg] Should onfoo event handler properties be on Element or HTMLElement?

From: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 15:49:48 +0200
To: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>
The spec says HTMLElement, by way of GlobalEventHandlers and
"HTMLElement implements GlobalEventHandlers":

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/webappapis.html#globaleventhandlers
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/elements.html#htmlelement

Gecko has "HTMLElement implements GlobalEventHandlers" in its IDL,[1]
but somewhat surprisingly also "SVGElement implements
GlobalEventHandlers".[2]

I'm trying to add GlobalEventHandlers IDL in Blink [3] to reduce code
duplication, where the current state of things is that the onfoo event
handler attributes are on Element, not HTMLElement. I can see two

1. Do what Gecko does, even though there's no SVG spec requiring it yet.
2. Just say "Element implements GlobalEventHandlers".

I would prefer option 2, since we already have a unified "Document
implements GlobalEventHandlers".

Would other browser vendors be OK with this change?

Philip

[1] http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/e48cee83453d/dom/webidl/HTMLElement.webidl
[2] http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/e48cee83453d/dom/webidl/SVGElement.webidl
[3] http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=305112