Re: [whatwg] Forms: <input type=file> and directory tree picking

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> >> We don't have to do any enumeration synchronously. It can all happen
> >> off the main thread. The .click() "API" is asynchronous.
> >
> > It's asynchronous to the JS, sure, but at the end of the day the user
> > can't get any work done until it's complete. It's synchronous as far
> > as the user is concerned.
>
> Sure. The alternative is that the user attaches each file separately.

That's not the only alternative. For example, a third alternative is that
the user's selection (e.g. a directory) is returned quickly, not
pre-expanded, and then any uploading happens in the background with the
author script doing the walk and uploading the files.

> >> Unfortunately most OSs doesn't have support for filepickers that can
> >> select either a file or a directory.
> >
> > True. From a UI perspective it's kind of weird that the user has to
> > decide which he wants, though. Similarly, from an authoring
> > perspective, I don't understand how I would decide whether to show a
> > multiple file picker or a directory picker.
>
> You display two buttons in the website UI, one for "pick file" and one
> for "pick directory". We don't really have a choice as long as we live
> under the two constraints of:
>
> * Websites wants to do their own "pick" UI
> * OSs can't display pickers which allow picking either a file or a directory.

I don't think I've ever seen a native application on any platform offer
two buttons, one to pick one or more files, and one to pick one (or more?)
directories. I think this should be a large red flag. Now if I'm wrong and
this kind of UI is in fact a thing, then fair enough, but if it's not,
maybe we should go and study how this problem is solved in native apps.