Re: [whatwg] onclose events for MessagePort

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:01:04 -0400
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On 10/1/13 1:45 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Crashing is non-conforming.

That's not useful.  Crashing (or rather being killed by the OS) happens
all the time on tablets and phones.  You get killed for using too much
memory, for not being active while other stuff is using too much memory,
for just not being active, etc.

So in practice this needs to be handled somehow, no matter how much we'd
like to avoid thinking about it.

> How often are we really expecting one tab to be talking to another tab,
> and then that tab crashes, and the author was able to prepare code to
> handle that gracefully, in a production environment?

On phones?  We should be expecting the former (tab gets killed) pretty
often.  How often the latter will happen depends on how much we give
authors in the way of tools to handle it.

-Boris