Re: [whatwg] <picture> redux

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM, Shane Hudson <mail@shanehudson.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm not sure where this belief that src-N doesn't support arbitrary
>> MQs comes from.  The syntax doesn't support media *types* (screen,
>> print, etc), but media types are being deprecated *anyway*, and we're
>> designing new media features that replace them.
>
> Supporting media types (or whatever you're working on to replace them) is
> one of the use cases that is in the Use Cases and Requirements document [1].
> I personally also have a particular interest when it comes to supporting
> print, it is something that not enough sites (including, currently, my own)
> do properly but a surprisingly high number of people do print off articles,
> especially technical documents.
>
> So supporting print and other types of media would definitely be an
> advantage.

Yeah, I definitely understand the use-case.  The "whatever [I'm]
working on to replace them" would work for src-N, but they're not done
yet.  <picture> has no such limitation; since it's not trying to cram
MQs into an already crowded microsyntax, it can go ahead and accept
full MQs, including media type.

~TJ