Re: [whatwg] Add <input> "Switch" Type

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 23:28:42 +0200
To: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
2013-11-19 22:27, Qebui Nehebkau wrote:

> A checkbox represents an input with
> binary state. As I understand it, whether the input is immediate or
> takes effect only on some kind of submission is defined by context -
> specifically, whether the checkbox is associated with a form with a
> submit button.

This more or less summarizes the alternative look at the issue that I
mentioned. But Iím still inclined into thinking that distinguishing
between checkboxes and switches, or giving authors the possibility of
making the distinction at the level of control elements, is a useful
thing to do. Itís not too late to introduce it. Most pages still use
checkboxes just as selections, selecting options for some action to be
requested shortly. (The <select> element may be a lost cause: as a user,
you canít know whether a dropdown just sets an option or actually ďrunsĒ
it.)

> In contrast, a button represents a single action, atomic from the
> user's point of view. Pressing the button again should (it seems to
> me) logically perform the same action again;

It would be too restrictive to require that, and an reality, things
donít work that way. For example, if the action consists of deleting
something, you just canít repeat it next.

Yucca