Re: [whatwg] Notifications: usage feedback

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 13:33:04 +0000
To: "Jasper St. Pierre" <jstpierre@mecheye.net>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, James Burke <jrburke@gmail.com>
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre@mecheye.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
> wrote:
>> We currently do not have a way to have events out-of-band for the web.
>
> What about providing a URL that the user-agent will open? If the originating
> tab of the notification is still open, navigate it to there, otherwise open
> it in a new tab?

Could work, but I think we want to go with service workers here. They
seem to be our best bet for telling a site about something happened.
The site can then decide to request for an actual window or some such.

> Clients can use the HTML5 navigation APIs to detect this and take an
> appropriate action.

How exactly?

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/