Re: [whatwg] The src-N proposal

From: James Graham <james@hoppipolla.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 16:47:08 +0000
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On 18/11/13 16:36, matmarquis.com wrote:
> I recall that some of the more
> specific resistance was due to the complication involved in
> implementing and testing existing media elements, but I canít claim
> to understand precisely what manner of browser-internal complications
> `source` elements brought to the table.

The fundamental issue is atomicity; setting one or N attributes is an
atomic operation from the point of view of script; creating N elements
is not. This creates complexity because the algorithm has to deal with
the possibility of DOM mutation changing the set of available sources
before it has selected the correct one. I believe there was a proposal
that simplified the semantics by ignoring mutations, but I hear it ran
into problems with animated images, which I haven't understood in detail.