Re: [whatwg] The src-N proposal

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 08:19:00 -0800
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Timothy Hatcher <timothy@apple.com>
On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 5:16 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:
> Without starting a debate on what semantics or aesthetics mean, syntax is a big deal.  A bad syntax can totally kill a feature.

Believe me, I agree; I named my last coding project "Bikeshed", after all. ^_^

This is why I find it puzzling that a syntax accepted by the RICG and
a lot of authors is being shot down by a few implementors.  This is
why I've been classifying the objections as "personal aesthetic
concerns" - I don't know how to classify them otherwise.  The proposed
syntax doesn't seem to offend average authors, who grasp it well
enough (it's a pretty simple translation from what they already liked
in <picture>).  It just offends a few of you from WebKit, some of whom
have been a bit hyperbolic in expressing their dislike.

~TJ