Re: [whatwg] Why are we merging Document and HTMLDocument again?

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 13:03:36 +1000
To: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Dirk Schulze wrote:
> We can not eliminate SVGDocument until you want to have SVG specific
> attributes on Document ;). This was  not the discussion on the SVG
> WG. But we do want to share all methods with HTMLDocument where is
> makes sense, which are most of them. HTMLDocument, as noted by Boris,
> have specific methods as well that we do not necessarily want in a
> general scoped Document object.

We did discuss and agree to this last year:

   http://www.w3.org/2012/09/19-svg-minutes.html#item04

and Erik made the change shortly afterwards.

   https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/struct.html#InterfaceSVGDocument

The only "interesting" attribute there is rootElement.  And that isn't
particularly interesting, though people do use it, so we can't get rid
of it.

I don't think there's any real downside to having rootElement exist on
all Document objects.