Re: [whatwg] Questions regarding Path object

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Jürg Lehni <lists@scratchdisk.com> wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2013, at 16:17 , Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I like the following naming scheme, as it is really short and already
> familiar for people from the Java world, but I can imagine that a prefix
> would be preferred.
> >
> > Path2D, Shape2D, Gradient2D, Matrix2D
> >
> > Path2d and Shape2d sound reasonable. I don't think there's a immediate
> need to harmonize gradients so we probably want to keep CanvasGradient.
>
> Do you prefer the lowercase 'd' instead of the uppercase 'D'? I think most
> acronyms in JS are uppercased (e.g. JSON), so the latter seems more aligned
> with convention.
>
> And what is required to get such a proposal through? I really think using
> 'Path' as a new global constructor at this point is a bad idea, and could
> cause quite a bit of trouble with apps out there.

I think we need to get some browser vendors on board.
However, I believe Firefox has been working on landing 'path' and there was
a patch for WebKit that also landed a partial path object. I'm unsure if
these ended up in shipping browsers.

There is considerable interest in landing hit regions. We should try to
find a way to get them implemented.