Re: [whatwg] Request: Implementing a Geo Location URI Scheme

On 2013-06-05 13:27, Rodrigo Polo wrote:
> Hi, well, the "kind of support" I think should be implemented is
> actually something that should be a standard, any anchor that have a
> "mailto:" inside is supported out of the box in any web browser and the
> first time it is clicked the web browser asks for the default app to
> open that link.

At least on Windows, "mailto:" is supported by an URI handler in the
operating system, and the browser just delegates to it. You can install
new URI handlers (think skype: and callto:). The browser doesn't need to
have any special support (except for asking the OS for advice).

YMMV.

> The "geo" URI handler is not supported by default out of the box and it
> should, for the sake of the user experience, to make it work it is
> required for everyone in the web browser development community to join
> forces with the maps application developers, the

It's the mapping application that needs to support it, not the browser.
The browser will support whatever the system supports it is running on.

Best regards, Julian