Re: [whatwg] Outline style to use for drawSystemFocusRing

From: Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:23:37 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> Well we can't use the CSS styles, because you might not have an element
> (e.g. if you're drawing in a worker).

I'm not quite sure what you mean - doesn't drawSystemFocusRing require
an element as a parameter (so that it only draws if the element has focus)?

Also, while what you describe is true for Chrome, it doesn't appear to be
> uniformly true. For example, in Firefox, the focus outline of an <input>
> doesn't seem to have any relation to its CSS 'outline', since you can have
> both at once.

OK, that's a good argument to not get the focus style from the outline.

But before we do that, we should probably figure out how much demand there
> is for this. If people are happier to just draw their own rings entirely,
> then we probably don't need to bother providing this at all.

Fair enough. I'll implement drawSystemFocusRing with the default style and
we can
start getting feedback from web developers.

Thanks,
- Dominic