Re: [whatwg] Undefined action parsing HTML fragment with <select> context

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013, Nolan Waite wrote:

> Hello! I am confused about parsing an HTML fragment when the context is
> a "select" element.
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-end.html#parsing-html-fragments
> step 4.6 instructs me to "reset the parser's insertion mode
> appropriately". I head over to
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-end.html#parsing-html-fragments
> but I see a problem in step 4.
>
> In step 4.1 I let ancestor = node. At this point, I have:
>
> - stack of open elements =
>     - <html>
> - last = true
> - node = the context element, a "select" element
> - ancestor = the context element, a "select" element
>
> In step 4.2 ancestor is not the first node in the stack of open elements
> (the context "select" element is not and has never been on the stack),
> so I continue to step 4.3.
>
> Now I am to "let ancestor be the node before ancestor in the stack of
> open elements". There is no such node! At this point, ancestor is not on
> the stack of open elements, so there is no node "before" it.
>
> I assume the intention is to effectively jump to the step labeled *done*
> if ancestor is the context element? That makes sense to me.

Oops. Fixed.

Your other bug (about whether <math> and <svg> are supposed to get foster
parented) is also valid, but harder to fix, so I added it to the queue
but haven't fixed it yet. (The short answer is yes, they're supposed to be
foster parented.)