Re: [whatwg] Adding features needed for WebGL to ImageBitmap

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 00:07:48 +0000 (UTC)
To: Kenneth Russell <kbr@google.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
On Wed, 10 Jul 2013, Kenneth Russell wrote:

> ImageBitmap can cleanly address all of the desired use cases simply by
> adding an optional dictionary of options.

I don't think that's true. The options only make sense for WebGL --
flipping which pixel is the first pixel, for example, doesn't do anything
to 2D canvas, which works at a higher level.

(The other two options don't make much sense to me even for GL. If you
don't want a color space, don't set one. If you don't want an alpha
channel, don't set one. You control the image, after all.)

> I suspect that in the future some options will be desired even for the
> 2D canvas use case, and having the dictionary already specified will
> make that easier. There is no need to invent a new primitive and means
> of loading it.

If options make sense for 2D canvas, then having ImageBitmap options would
make sense, sure.