Re: [whatwg] Proposal: Adding methods like getElementById and getElementsByTagName to DocumentFragments

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 08:12:15 -0500
To: Octavian Damiean <odamiean@linux.com>
Cc: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Jussi Kalliokoski <jussi.kalliokoski@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM, Octavian Damiean <odamiean@linux.com>wrote:

> ​I completely agree with ​Jussi here. It's also not really constructive to
> argue whether querySelector is more powerful not, we're talking about
> consistency.

It's a little inconsistent to agree with something other than consistency,
then telling people not to argue about anything but consistency.  :)

"Consistency" isn't a magic word that justifies things by itself.  When it
comes to backwards-compatibility with obsolete APIs, consistency often just
means bloat.

(I've used querySelector exclusively for quite some time, and I find
arguments that querySelector isn't readable or "the wrong tool" to simply
not hold up.  I find it more readable, actually, since I don't have to
change interfaces depending on whether I'm searching for an ID or a class.)

--
Glenn Maynard