Re: [whatwg] Including HTML more directly into SVG

On Jan 9, 2013, at 2:18 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> 1. Check out <http://www.xanthir.com/etc/railroad-diagrams/example.html
>>> .
>>> See all those boxes full of text in the diagrams?  Looks simple, right?
>>> Just a box filled with text, with a border and background set on it.
>>> Wrong!  SVG doesn't have any primitives like that.  Instead, you have to
>>> position the text, measure its dimensions (or, like I've done, guess at
>>> the dimensions based on the font-size and such), then create and
>>> position an *independent* <rect> element behind it, so that it *looks*
>>> like there's a box with text inside of it.
>>
>> Well, you can just put the text in a <foreignObject> with a <div>, and
>> style that.
>>
>> Your bigger problem is going to be positioning the lines on the other side
>> of the <rect>/<foreignObject>.
>>

>>> This would be a lot easier if I could somehow invoke the CSS box model
>>> inside of SVG, but the <text> element doesn't allow that.
>>
>> That's what <foreignObject> is for.
>>

> I agree.
> When we discussed this a couple of months ago, people did not like the name.
> Why is HTML considered 'foreign'?
>
> Also, browser have identified multiple security issues with foreignObject.
> AFAIK the SVG spec doesn't mention any of them.
>
> I think a new tag in SVG is needed that just support inclusion of HTML.
> In addition, it needs to define the security model and allow the HTML to
> draw outside of its box.

I guess you mean things like shadows and filter output should not be clipped? In this case the new element would not interact as some kind of <iframe>, but as an integral part of SVG, allowing to better mix SVG and HTML. I think this is a good way to go and should be implementable.

The reason why it is not so easy to allow HTML elements to be embedded into SVG directly are the different kind of concepts. HTML elements contribute to the CSS Boxing Model with relative positioning and layout. SVG elements need information about the coordinates and dimension. While I could imagine that SVG elements can contribute to the CSS Boxing Model when they would be put into HTML content without surrounding them with an <svg> elements, the other way around is more difficult. Turning a relative positioned, layout based element into a coordinate, size based context is not so easy. A new element as you both describe it here can help a lot.

Greetings,
Dirk