Re: [whatwg] Why do we have <input type='month'> and <input type='week'>?

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:

> Regarding week, I still believe that the use cases are pretty weak but

the most important issue is that there is no good UI for this on Mobile
> AFAIK.

There aren't stock widgets, but this isn't a hard UI problem to solve.  For
example, two panes: a year scroller and a scroller containing a vertical
strip of calendars, where you scroll vertically to the row corresponding
with the week you want to select.

A trickier issue for weeks is which day the week starts on.  To me,
calendar weeks start on Sunday and end on Saturday.  I'd find it weird to
be shown a Monday-aligned calendar, but this is hard to localize, since the
browser can't return anything but Monday-based week numbers.  This would
probably work better if the result was a date, not a week number, so it
could return both Sundays and Mondays, but this might lead to localization
bugs.

--
Glenn Maynard