Re: [whatwg] Comments on <dialog>

From: Brian Blakely <anewpage.media@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:21:42 -0500
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Matt Falkenhagen <falken@chromium.org>, "whatwg@lists.whatwg.org" <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Scott González <scott.gonzalez@gmail.com>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> I've added a rule to the spec that says that viewports have to be pannable

so you can see all of a dialog, but I don't know how feasible that really
> is.

I could see implementations using shadow <div>s to satisfy this  It might
be beneficial to even codify kind of element as ::modal, representing a
modal layer acting as an ancestor for both the ::backdrop and <dialog>.

> > > That's an interesting idea, but I'm not convinced it's the right
> > > answer. Having the dialog move up and down when stuff is added at the
> > > bottom would be quite weird. You can always implement this manually
> > > from script.
> >
> > To go back to hacky and rather difficult-to-maintain JS techniques for
> > something so simple seems antithetical to the intention of <dialog> to
> > me. Modern modal implementations don't require that.
>
> My point isn't that we shouldn't offer the feature because it is already
> possible. My point is that this feature is actively bad. I'm saying I
> don't think it's good UI for the dialog position to change when it
> increases in height.

It looks like Blink's implementation will recenter the modal when
show/showModal are called.