Re: [whatwg] inputmode feedback

Just for a data point, lots of Japanese banks still make user type in
half-width katakana.

Here are some random examples:

http://www.tominbank.co.jp/for_kojin/mobile/topics_hankaku-kana.html

http://www.shinkin.co.jp/okayama/ibandhib/bizib/02_faq/faq_07.html

http://www.yamanashibank.co.jp/anser-web/B-KM-009/help.html
> 半角30文字以内で入力してください

I am hesitant to get into endless debate how half-width-kana should be
here, but...

If most people can agree that it should not be widely used any more on the
web,
I would think that it should be intentionally added to the spec explicitly
stating that
"this mode is discouraged" in red and intentionally not implement on any
browser.
(half joke, half serious)

I think lobbying every IME vendor to drop half-width-kana is not worth it,
as half-width-kana will live in Unicode and the legacy probably will not
extinguish at least
until the end of my life, even with the speed of the internet.

Some brave IME implementor tried to exclude half-width-kana but it ended up
with
having third-party half-width-kana typing apps, which is kind of ironic:
http://kuracyan.net/archives/10751

--
Takayoshi Kochi