Re: [whatwg] Styling form controls (Was: Re: Forms-related feedback)

From: Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 02:01:22 -0000
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, "TJ VanToll" <tj.vantoll@gmail.com>
On Wed, 04 Dec 2013 16:12:50 -0000, TJ VanToll <tj.vantoll@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The datepicker also shows the problem that using pseudo-elements as
> styling hooks presents. The calendars presented on mobile browsers and
> desktop browsers are radically different. Even if you wanted to
> standardize certain hooks, there is literally nothing in common across
> the implementations.

Maybe instead of coming up with one set of pseudo-elements that's limited
to the lowest common denominator we should have multiple completely
different sets of pseudo-elements for each kind of interface?

input::calendar.month-view-grid ::first-week-row {...} // typical desktop
style

input::calendar.spin-wheel ::month-spinner {...} // iOS style

(or any other syntax with cats/hats/dogs/pseudo-functions, as long as it
groups pseudo-elements per kind of calendar UI)

This way developers assuming date pickers are grids with a month view
could style specific pseudo-elements for this layout and mobile browsers
could ignore these styles completely.

--
regards, Kornel