Re: [whatwg] Styling form controls (Was: Re: Forms-related feedback)

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 22:32:55 -0800
To: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@whatwg.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Dec 3, 2013 9:39 PM, "Dimitri Glazkov" <dglazkov@chromium.org> wrote:

>> Web components can't define pseudo elements. So no.
>>
>> This sadly also means that you can't write a CSS which styles the default
>> UA UI if that is used, and styles an attached Shadow DOM if that is used.
>

> That's simply not true. Where'd you get that?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/shadow-dom/#custom-pseudo-elements

Ah, I thought that the cat and hat combinators had replaced pseudo element
support. Glad to see that is not the case.

However as the spec is currently written the author still couldn't write a
replacement for <select> which supports a ::options-box pseudo element (if
that is what we agree it should be called and what the UA UI should respond
to.)

/ Jonas