Re: [whatwg] Canonical Image and Color

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> You are welcome to register these on the wiki and convince people to use
> them, sure. Seems like they already have solutions, though, as you show:

Would you kindly link me to the wiki?

> Sounds like this is already solved, then.

In a sense, but ultimately with caveats.  OpenGraph is very useful right
now, but Facebook can unilaterally change it or wipe it out entirely (both
have already happened to a degree).  Microsoft's color properties possess
mechanics that are extremely specific to how IE uses color in Windows.

Why isn't <link rel=icon sizes=""> sufficient?

That should suffice, I agree.  Meta Image can serve as a fallback when an
icon is not available – specifically, as an alternative to using a
programmatic screenshot of the app.  The principal concept in this Meta
Image proposal is to specify a graphic that represents the page content.