Re: [whatwg] 2D canvas feature proposal: text decoration

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Apr 2013, Justin Novosad wrote:
> >
> > This is a really simple proposal to add support for text decorations in
> > 2D canvas contexts.
> >
> > IDL to add to interface CanvasDrawingStyles:
> >
> > attribute DOMString textDecoration;
> >
> > It would support all the same modes as the 'text-decoration' CSS
> > property (except inherit), and default would be 'none'.
>
> That's anything but simple. :-)
>
> The CSS text-decoration model is actually quite complex. Also, there have
> been many proposals to split 'text-decoration' into sub-properties, so it
> is only going to get more complicated from there.
>
> What's your use case? That is, when do you need to underline text?

Take a web app that presents a view of an arbitrarily large document (map,
spreadsheet, word processor document, drawing, etc).
Using the DOM to represent such documents for the purpose of rendering can
be quite inefficient.  The two basic approaches are:
 a) Put the entire document into the DOM and incur massive layout and style
recalculation penalties.
 b) Put only the visible part of the document in the DOM and incur frequent
layout and style recalculation penalties, as you scroll around

With 2D canvas, the app can manage its own document model, often in ways
that perform better by several orders of magnitude.
There is increasing pressure from app developers for us to improve the text
feature set in 2D canvas so that so that apps can be ported to 2D canvas.
Text decoration can theoretically be drawn directly by the application by
using font metrics to compute decoration positions, but this is often very
complex to do correctly in a truly portable way.