Re: [whatwg] Should <video controls> generate click events?

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:19:51 +0200, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Are you suggesting that Silvia's earlier description of the
> implications was wrong?

No, I was correcting misconceptions in the stuff I quoted.

> Ok, I appreciate this correction, but this is still a poor solution. How
> do
> get notified of clicks on the controls?

You don't, except when clicks on the controls have an effect (e.g. 'play'
for play).

It may be the case that the change is suboptimal especially now that some
browsers make the whole video a big play/pause button. I'm open to
alternative solutions that would make Philip's example trivial to
implement correctly for authors and still allow authors to be notified of
clicks on the controls.

For instance, I can imagine exposing a property on the click event that
tells whether the user clicked on the controls, and maybe even what was
being clicked (as a string).

<video onclick="if (controlsTarget == null) { if (paused) play(); else
pause(); }" ...></video>

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software