Re: [whatwg] Challenging canvas.supportsContext

2013/7/31 Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> >
> > Ping --- I thought that there was sufficient agreement in this thread,
> > around the fact that supportsContext, as currently spec'd and currently
> > implementable, is a feature without a valid use case, that removing it
> > from the spec is the right thing to do at this point.
>
> It's on my list of e-mail to get to. Sorry about the delay. I'm currently
> about six months behind on feedback that isn't blocked on other things.
>
> In this particular case, I should note that we have at least one
> implementation, and we have no alternative solution to the problem for
> which the feature was added. So it's not as clear cut as it might seem.

As discussed in this thread, the alternative solution is to call getContext
and check if it succeeded; I was arguing that if one wants something
reliable and tightly spec'd, there is no alternative to doing the same
amount of work; and I was also arguing against the notion that something
more loosely spec'd (as supportsContext currently is) was useful to have.

Benoit