Re: [whatwg] Deferred Javascript parsing

From: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:41:14 -0700
To: David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, Benjamin Stürmer <benjamin.stuermer@gmail.com>
On 4/29/13, David Bruant <bruant.d@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 29/04/2013 22:21, Benjamin Stürmer a écrit :
>> I have been reading about a technique described here (
>> http://googlecode.blogspot.de/2009/09/gmail-for-mobile-html5-series-reducing.html)
>> for deferring the parsing of scripts until they are actually required.
>> This
>> can be a useful technique for allowing lazy-loading of script without
>> AJAX.
>> A common method used to achieve this (the method described in the linked
>> article) is commenting-out blocks of code and then uncommenting it and
>> running it via eval(), which is obviously not an ideal solution.

Obviously not. Nor will it work for external SCRIPT elements (not "tags").

>> Has there been any consideration given to an attribute to mark a script
>> tag
>> as "do not parse or execute" until it's been triggered?
David Anderson proposed the 'execute' method. Great idea; no traction.
Also http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2011Feb/0245.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2009Feb/0065.html
A shame that the examples aren't up anymore (can't work for free on this).

The replies on by Boris and Ian include some mistakes and distract
about setTimeout, unfortunately.

--
Garrett
Twitter: @xkit