Re: [whatwg] Background audio channels

> No, plugins are not a bikeshed at all.  They are part of the problem - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're half the problem.

Yes, but I don't think they're solvable here, and its not worth holding up the entire idea trying to fix them. The best solution I know of for plugins is click-to-play, which fixes a very different problem, but helps prevent this one. It sounds, from your comments, like WebAudio needs a good definition of "pause" that happens in a reasonable amount of time. I don't know that spec at all, so feedback is appreciated. Is it an impossible problem to solve?

> The first browser that tried to "upgrade" their support by disabling Pandora* playing in a background tab, because Pandora hasn't added an attribute to their <audio>/plugins, is going to have to deal with a lot of user backlash.

Yes. Like many web breaking changes, UA's would need to do this on a gradual roll out, perhaps defaulting it to background for some period, but monitoring/evangelizing sites to work with the new spec. If that evangelism occurs across multiple browsers/vendors, it would have stronger support. But given the response/fear here, I also won't be surprised if one vendor had to take the first steps. I would also imagine that mobile is a good starting point, since there are even fewer mobile sites that expect to work in the background than desktop. In fact, until about a month ago, Chrome on mobile already did this (and users came to us asking us to match their behavior, which I fought until sites had some way to opt out of being paused). Since Chrome already shipped this behavior, maybe you have some indication of how many sites are depending on being able to play HTML5 audio in the background?

I would guess that number is miniscule, and will quickly be dwarfed by html5 gaming frameworks (that should mute in the background). I also expect we'll see a lot more garage developers there. Again, I'd say while not ideal, its as good a time as we'll ever have to try and fix this.

> Finally, apps can already solve this problem today - they know when they go into the background (for different permutations of "background", as Jer mentioned), and they can pretty trivially mute or pause their playing audio. Most of them don't.

Yes.... err... isn't this my point? Most of them (that I've encountered) aren't not muting themselves because they think what they're playing is so important that it shouldn't be stopped. Most of them are used to expecting the platform to do the right thing for them.

I'd love to hear better solutions. Although I've fought for it before, I don't really consider "Sites can mute themselves" a solution at this point (they won't). Neither do I think we want users to have to manually manage this. I've thrown around some ideas about events with people before, but I think this solution is much simpler for devs to implement.

Again, IMO 1.) The EVENTUAL default behavior here has to be to mute tabs in the background. History and the current situation show devs haven't/won't bother to do this on their own. Forcing them to opt in puts users back in control. 2.) I don't believe there's any need for a separation between installed/non-installed webapps here.

- Wes