[whatwg] <iframe srcdoc> definition not compatible with existing user-agent user interfaces

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 17:12:25 -0400
To: whatwg <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>
The way <iframe srcdoc> is defined, the document URI does not in any way
encode the document contents.

Unfortunately, that breaks user-agent and extension features like "open
frame in new window", "show only this frame", "open frame in new tab", etc.

I just tried this in the two UAs I have that implement such features,
and Chrome simply doesn't have such options in its default UI, while in
Safari those context menu options are in fact just completely broken.

This seems fairly undesirable.  Is there a reason we don't want a URI
which _will_ encode the source in some way so as to avoid breaking basic
UI like this?

-Boris