Re: [whatwg] Rename the 7-arg arcTo() to ellipseTo()?

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> >> So, can we rename the 7-arg arcTo to ellipseTo?  That seems to
> >> support your "always [require] all the arguments" recommendation. ^_^
> >
> > Just have one arcTo command, that takes all the arguments. Why split
> > it into two, if you always require all the arguments?
>
> Oh, that's what you meant.
>
> That seems silly.  It's more convenient and simple for authors to have a
> circular form, separate from the elliptical form.  It lets you omit the
> second radius and the rotation, as they're irrelevant.

Omitting two numbers, one of which is zero, is easily no more a win than
the cost of having two different nearly-identical commands. Just consider
C/c and S/s; is it really worth it?

> >> The existing SVG "A" command is one of the largest source of
> >> complaints from hand-authors. While it's *occasionally* useful as
> >> stated, it often requires you to do trig to get the effect you want.
> >> The Canvas arc commands, with their use of an angle to sweep across,
> >> are exactly what authors want a lot of the time, and commonly ask
> >> for.
> >
> > So introduce a new one-letter command that fixes specifically the
> > problems with A, don't drag in the entire canvas path API. :-)
>
> We're not, we're pulling in the two/four useful arc commands.

I have to admit to being very confused about what you're trying to do.

What's wrong with A/a? It seems to be equivalent to arcTo(). Is it arc()
that you want to add? I'm very confused.