Re: [whatwg] canvas miterLimit property

From: Michael Day <mikeday@yeslogic.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:17:15 +1000
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Hi Ian,

>> In Prince we are clamping it to 1.0, as the PDF spec is consistent with
>> SVG this time, and Adobe Reader will fail if the miter limit is dropped
>> below 1.0.
>
> What do you mean by fail?

I mean if you try to set the miter limit to a number less than 1.0 in a
PDF page content stream Adobe Reader will stop at that point and not
execute the remaining commands in the page content stream, resulting in
a half-drawn page.

> Its trivial to treat numbers 0.0 < q <= 1.0 as 1.0. No need to fail.
> Browsers (at least Opera, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome) consistently follow
> the spec here.

Yes, we can clamp it to 1.0 when we generate the PDF, just wanted to
point out another inconsistency with SVG, where miter limit values less
than 1.0 will be ignored as invalid.

Best regards,

Michael