Re: [whatwg] StringEncoding open issues

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:56:36 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: WHAT Working Group <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Joshua Bell <jsbell@chromium.org>
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> Why would we want the API to work different from how it works in
> markup (with <meta charset> etc.)? Granted it's not super logical, but
> I don't really see why we should make it inconsistent and more
> complicated.

That algorithm always allows UTF-16, even when you explicitly say UTF-8.
 That would cause everyone using this API for UTF-8 to inadvertently
perpetuate UTF-16 support.

I hope we wouldn't want to apply the heuristic (#8) or user-locale steps
(#9), and the rest (user overrides, prescanning) is HTML-specific.

--
Glenn Maynard