Re: [whatwg] Including HTML more directly into SVG

From: Elliott Sprehn <esprehn@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:29:19 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: WHATWG <whatwg@whatwg.org>
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The paragraph and span concept in SVG
>> wouldn't be the same thing so it's not an antipattern. You would have
>> to specify some kind of x/y coordinate and the width since SVG doesn't
>> have a flow concept so there would be nothing to size or place
>> against.
>
> No, all you have to do is define SVG positioning as being a slight
> diff from absolute positioning.  Then all the sizing just falls out.

Can you explain this? I don't understand how we decide the width of an
html element as the containing block is the <svg> element. Are you
saying we default to shrink wrap? Also, how does your proposal address
flowing text inside of a <path>?

A strawman of the JSON spec rewritten with your proposal would be useful.

- E