Re: [whatwg] [canvas] Proposal for supportsContext

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:34:09 +0200
To: "Dean Jackson" <dino@apple.com>, "Glenn Maynard" <glenn@zewt.org>
Cc: "whatwg@lists.whatwg.org" <whatwg@lists.whatwg.org>, Ashley Gullen <ashley@scirra.com>
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 00:14:25 +0200, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> Expecting pages to use a supportsContext API is still expecting pages to
> behave nicely.
>
> If you really want to protect users from the behavior of pages, you'd
> really need to make creating the context cheap.

This was exactly my reaction as well. Introducing a new method doesn't
solve the problem. There will still be pages that create the context and
then don't use it. Browsers just have to suck it up and be fast anyway,
just like with all other features on the Web.

I think we shouldn't add supportsContext() since it doesn't provide
authors with new information and browsers will have to do the above anyway.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software