Re: [whatwg] Submitting contentEditable Content In A Form

From: Mikko Rantalainen <mikko.rantalainen@peda.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:32:51 +0300
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
> JavaScript into, say, a hidden form field. I think that there should
> be some mechanism to associate contentEditable elements with
> forms—maybe the combination of contentEditable="true" and the presence
> of @name creates an implicit form control? The value sent to the
> server could be equivalent to that element's innerHTML. Thoughts?

The contenteditable attribute is meant for low level wysiwyg-editor like
behavior framework and it is not meant to work standalone without scripting.

I'd suggest supporting <textarea type="text/html"> with a built-in HTML
wysiwyg editor if any UA wants to support HTML editing without
JavaScript. In that case, the UA should provide a scriptable method for
detecting for native support of type="text/html". As a result, a CMS
system could fallback to e.g. TinyMCE or CKeditor to emulate the missing
support.

--
Mikko