[whatwg] [canvas] request for {create, get, put}ImageDataHD and ctx.backingStorePixelRatio

On 3/20/12 7:04 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> If you have previous drawing commands buffered, and you want to avoid extra
> copies, then putImageData has to block until the buffered drawing commands
> complete.

Yes, but if you're drawing to a GPU directly you want to make the copy
up front, imo; otherwise you have to wait for the full GPU latency
before you can return even if there are no other drawing commands in the
pipeline, which is painful....

> The question is whether you'd need to make a copy *synchronously*, before
> putImageData returns.

If you want to do the image data put async in any way (and that includes
any sort of direct-to-GPU setup, I'm told) then you need either sync
copy or copy-on-write as far as I can tell.

-Boris