[whatwg] <style scoped> available as experimental feature, discussing @-rules

From: Roland Steiner <rolandsteiner@google.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:46:19 +0900
Hi all,

First, sorry for the cross-post, I didn't know which mailing list was most
appropriate, and <style scoped> has previously been discussed on both.

Now, a shiny-new implementation of <style scoped> has made it into WebKit
and is now available as an experimental feature behind a run-time flag in
Chromium. See also the html5rocks article that has more details about it:
http://updates.html5rocks.com/2012/03/A-New-Experimental-Feature-style-scoped
. As
the main developer of the WebKit implementation, I would hereby like to
solicit feedback on the feature and real-world experiences. :)

Currently, there are no known bugs, the :scope pseudo class is implemented,
but the following @-rules not yet: @font-face, @keyframes, @region, @global.

In this regard, I would also like to try to re-ignote the discussion on the
fate of @-rules within <style scoped>: As has been discussed on these
mailing lists previously, as well as informally, implementing a scoped
version of @font-face is quite difficult, and there are several voices
against even attempting it. Consequently, without an implementation of
@font-face, it may make more sense to also ignore @keyframes and @region
for consistency reasons rather than have a mix-and-match, even though the
latter 2 shouldn't be that hard to implement.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,

- Roland