Re: [whatwg] Proposal for Links to Unrelated Browsing Contexts

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 14:38:53 -0400
To: Charlie Reis <creis@chromium.org>
Cc: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
On 6/19/12 1:56 PM, Charlie Reis wrote:
> That's from the "[if] the user agent
> determines that the two browsing contexts are related enough that it is
> ok if they reach each other" part, which is quite vague.

This is, imo, the part that says unrelated browsing contexts should not
be able to reach each other by name.

It's only vague because hixie wanted all current implementations to be
conforming, I think.  Which I believe is a mistake.

> Firefox appears to allow cross-origin windows find each
> other by name.

This is actually necessary for web compat, last I checked, if the
cross-origin window is one that you opened or one that you are framing.
  Do other UAs not allow navigating the cross-origin window in those
situations?

There are lots of cases in which cross-origin windows in fact cannot
find each other by name in Firefox.

> Perhaps that's the bug you're referring to?

No, I'm talking about the fact that Firefox just has no concept of
"related browsing context" and treats them all as related.

-Boris