Re: [whatwg] <source>s in <video> by quality as well as codec

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Rodger Combs wrote:

> I propose that <source> add a quality, bitrate, or filesize attribute to
> allow the UA to decide between multiple streams by choosing the maximum
> quality file that it can download within a reasonable amount of time
> (e.g. it will download faster than it will play) or based on a user
> preference (e.g. prefer SD quality, or always use HD when provided). It
> should also be possible to retrieve a list of the <source>s the UA can
> play in JS, and switch between them by user action (either a JS call for
> a custom UI or a dropdown in the builtin UI), loading the new file and
> switching to it with minimal skipping. This way, a site like YouTube,
> which presents several files in various bitrates and codecs, can allow
> the user to choose to use a higher quality without having to force an
> src attribute on the video, and a mobile UA that roams from 3G to WiFi
> or moves close to a base station can increase the quality of its stream.
> I think it fits in well with the purpose of the source element. This is
> certainly open for modification, but I think it's a good concept in
> essence.

If this is for a site like YouTube, I think an adaptive network channel
would be a more effective solution (i.e. one where the download adapts in
real time to changing network conditions, with the endpoints negotiating
with each other regarding what to transmit).