Re: [whatwg] Fullscreen events dispatched to elements

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Jer Noble <jer.noble@apple.com> wrote:
>> Actually, in WebKit, we explicitly also message the document from which the element was removed in that case.  I don't see why this behavior couldn't be standardized.
>
> Why should we standardize this if we always notify the document? Is
> there a benefit to notifying both the element and the document?

Many applications will consider they are the only users of an
interface. If so, it doesn't matter much where the notifications come
in.

Next, developers are likely to include more than one bit of
functionality on a page. E.g. a game portal with a few games that
could be clicked on to go Fullscreen and or enter Pointer Lock. It's
more straight forward to place listeners on each game's relevant
elements, and not expect to receive cross communication from some
other portion of the page. If listeners must all live on the document
than application developers must write more code to track what's going
on. Oh, you received an error event? Has this component recently
attempted fullscreen/lock? What if you did request and you will
succeed, but another component also requested on the same user gesture
and that generated an error event? Application developers all must go
through some additional checks to figure out if the messages were
intended for them.

Finally, some pages may have applications that expect to be removed
from the DOM. I don't think we'd expect this very often, but
developers should be able to handle it. Even if the specs didn't
dispatch change events to the document the developers could detect
that the element was removed and stop whatever they were doing with
them.