Re: [whatwg] The <pic> element

From: Aaron Gustafson <aaron@easy-designs.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:19:47 -0400
To: whatwg@lists.whatwg.org
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:05 PM,  <whatwg-request@lists.whatwg.org> wrote:

>> Why won't you do this with separate attributes?
>> Of course this is much shorter to write but it confuses the masses of developers because this is not a familiar HTML/CSS-pattern.
>> I would like to see it this style which is much more common:
>>
>> <pic src-xs="small.jpg" media-xs="(max-width:15em)" src-xl="large.jpg" alt="alt text" title="title text"></pic>
>
> I don't mind either way, but this seems a bit more noisier and less compact.
>
> <source> can be an option for authors who prefer separate attributes.

I’m still digesting the overall proposal, but regarding the media-*
and src-* attributes, my main concern would be limiting ourselves by
prescribing a set number of sizes (e.g. "small," "medium," and
"large") when in reality there may be more nuance in art direction
than that. might accommodate.

Cheers,

Aaron

----