Re: [whatwg] A mechanism to improve form autofill

On Jul 25, 2012, at 12:36 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>> For some of these fields, autocomplete="" as a hint to autocompletion seems
>> sufficient. However, I think some may logically be a distinct input type as well.
>
> This is also true for the inputmode attribute. In particular its
> Telephone, E-mail, and URL states. If we add this, we should also add
> guidance on how type/autocomplete/inputmode work together.

Yeah, it seems like having both <input type=tel> and <input inputmode=tel> is redundant. If they had different behavior, that would be awful. If they have the same behavior, then why do we need both in the platform?

Similarly, I'm confused about the need to have both <input type=number> and <input inputmode=numeric>. They are not exactly the same, but it is mysterious that one is a type and the other is the inputmode. Also, neither is appropriate for pure digit strings such as credit card numbers of CVVs, where the thousands separator and negative indicator should never be added, either explicitly by the user or as part of formatting by the UA.

Regards,
Maciej