Re: [whatwg] Media queries, viewport dimensions, srcset and picture

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 03:24:50 +0200, Andy Davies <dajdavies@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In Scott Jehl's latest example of a responsive image polyfill
> (https://github.com/scottjehl/picturefill), he produced a variation
> that allows a non-retinae image to be downloaded by default with the
> user having the ability to then choose the download the retina version
> of image if then wanted.
>
> Which ever solution to the responsive image eventually get's
> incorporated into the spec I think we need to account for this
> behaviour at the user-agent level i.e. if the UA decides to download a
> non-retina image because the user is on a cell network, then they need
> a way of easily choosing to download the retina image if they want.

This seems perfectly compatible with srcset, both in the original version
and in my proposed variant. Neither require the UA to have such a
mechanism,
but both allow it to, should the UA vendor agree that it is a good idea.

  - Florian